Image Credit: wallpaperflare.com
The general purpose of web testing is to find issues, also known as bugs, problems, or defects, that could adversely affect the operation of a website or application. How can you know that the trendiest framework will suit your site, based on numerous Django website examples? How “easygoing” is your website for the user? Web testing can also be used to add new functionality and discover certain areas or aspects of a website that can be improved and thus get better results.
Web testers test the entire web system from start to finish before releasing a website to the market.
Who Needs Testing?
Every website needs testing to determine all the mistakes you can make in the project discovery phase and later in the website development process. It doesn’t matter what the functional niche of the company is. If the site is informational, it is beneficial for its owner to have as many visitors as possible.
Testing is carried out in several stages. The plan is usually standard and includes functional testing, usability, site performance, and security tests. Sometimes they deviate from the program or change it a little depending on the project’s specifics. Partial testing can be cut to save money.
Types of Website Testing
SECLGroup experts determine several types of testing required for the website before you run it on the market.
Checking Website Design
No website development is complete without design errors. Matching the layout exactly to the finished design is challenging since you need to check every element and page view. Moreover, the mobile and tablet versions require even more attention and modeling of possible adaptations for each gadget and browser, but more on that in the sixth paragraph of the article.
A checklist is presented below for the actual design to be as close as possible to the approved one in terms of reference. Design requirements vary from project to project depending on the type of site and the individual preferences of the client, so the list of elements to check includes only the main ones:
- Fonts and color. Check the site’s color scheme for compliance with the plan – fonts, icons, lines, buttons, backgrounds of various blocks, and navigation panels.
- Heading (h1). It should stand out from the text and be unique for each page.
- Links. Check that the hyperlinks on the site differ in design from the main text. The most popular option is a solid or dashed underline and a contrasting font color. Hovering with the mouse should also change the color (usually in the menu) or decorate the link text. This is necessary to improve behavioral characteristics – when viewing the page and seeing the link, the visitor will determine the possibility of clicking on it.
- Paragraphs and indents. The distance between any elements dramatically affects the experience that the user will receive when they come into contact with your content and the site as a whole. Pay attention to this. Check the spacing between paragraphs, lists, paragraphs, headings and paragraphs, block-level indents, etc.
The primary interfaces are the web server and application server interface and the application server and database server interface. Testing the interface is connected with checking the smooth interaction between these servers, the proper performance of their tasks, and the absence of errors.
Website Security Testing
The list of works to find vulnerabilities will differ from the type of site. It is essential to eliminate them in time so that hackers cannot “collapse” your channel for attracting new customers via the Internet. Security testing diagnoses ways of hacking the system, assesses the site’s security, and analyzes the risks of attackers accessing confidential data.
To secure your Internet resource, you must contact expensive programmers for detailed testing.
Main objects of vulnerability check:
- Access control.
- Authentication diagnostics.
- Validation of input values.
- Error handling mechanisms.
- Integration with third-party services.
- Checking site resistance to Dos/DDoS attacks.
- Server Configuration.
What Is Special about Functional Testing?
Disadvantages can appear at different website development stages, which is normal. The main thing is eliminating bugs when creating an online store or information resource. The most severe errors are functional errors. Bugs will arise if mistakes are made in the site architecture or if there is a typo in the code. Bugs are ways to destroy any interactive interaction with visitors and potential customers.
A site is usually a multi-page web resource on the code the development team is working on. Even experienced specialists can only foresee some things. Everyone is capable of making a typo or mistake through inattention. At the stage of functional testing, all bugs are fixed.
Contact a trusted company with a good reputation if you need site testing. SECLGroup specialists will test every page and every button of the site so that visitors to an online store or informational web resource do not encounter problems and often turn to the company for a service or product.
How to Test the Site?
There are many valuable steps to take for website testing. For example:
- run it on different devices – from super-fast to very slow;
- enter all possible values in the input fields;
- press all the buttons in a row;
- run a hundred copies of the program and enter each of them in turn;
- turn off the Internet while the program is running;
- turn off the power at any time, and then try to start everything again;
- see what happens if the buttons are pressed in the wrong order;
- do a hundred other checks.
This is outer loop testing. And there is also testing of the internal modules of the program. Testing aims to find and fix weaknesses early before the product goes live. If you want to dive into testing more detail, here is where you can start.
What Are the Testing Methods?
You can test the website manually or automatically.
To automatically test a website, a tester will need special programs. The program is configured to determine compliance with specific site parameters. This type of testing is most suitable for large projects loaded with complex functionality.
The type of software testing is performed manually by the tester without using automated tools. Manual testing helps to find critical bugs in a software application and checks real customer experience, navigation, and more.
There is always something to check on the site – this is a fact! For example: searching for errors in content and checking it for uniqueness, testing site loading speed, and usability, matching meta tags and titles, frameworks that cope with the website load, and so on.
To conduct some types of testing, you must be competent in technical matters and Internet marketing.